It’s time for a train book list! Here are our favorite train-themed titles. (Click on any book below to see more on Amazon.)
1. Trains Go I love the illustrations in this book! You can almost feel the wind blowing across your face as these trains woosh past.
2. Hey, Mr. Choo-Choo, Where Are You Going? Ok so I’m afraid this one might actually be out of print, but it looks like you might could get it used or maybe find it at the library. It was one of my son’s first fave books. I’m pretty certain I have the entire thing memorized. The text is very catchy and the illustrations are whimsical and inviting. Track it down! (snort, see what I did there?)
3. Trains Board Book This is currently one of my daughter’s favorite books. Each page contains a descriptive sentence for the bold, colorful illustrations. It’s attention-grabbing for her and perfect for my son to read himself.
4. Freight Train This Caldecott Honor winning book is brilliantly simple in design and has inspired a multitude of children’s artwork and activities. I’d call it a modern classic and a definite must-read.
5. Steam Train, Dream Train This is a beautiful and soothing bedtime read. My son is captivated by the gorgeous and images and enjoys pointing out little details. It’s a perfect sleepy-time book.
6. I Love Trains This adorable little book is filled with information and facts that will captivate a train enthusiast.
7. Chugga Chugga Choo Choo This book gets everything right: melodic text paired with glimmering and surprising illustrations. We really enjoy reading it again and again. The story of a child playing with an imaginary train world, it’s a great catalyst for creative play.
I hope you check out some of these books. We read. A lot. It’s the most important thing you can do to help your child learn to love reading. We are always inspired to play by reading great books.
What are your favorites?